Getting into this box is what's best for both of us. During your time in the box, you will learn so much, and yet experience so little. It's a wild ride, my friend, one well worth the time spent...and let's face it, you don't have much to do these days anyway.

Thursday 21 March 2013

Consideration.


I have this group of five or six guys (the last one keeps on drifting in and out of the circle) from my navy days. We get together twice a month at a coffeeshop of our choosing, get ourselves settled, and talk the night away - with six or seven folks, it's usually easy to keep the conversation going, and if not there's always the good old fallback of navy days.

For reference, here's an example of a Singaporean coffeeshop, complete with locals watching a game on the televitz:


As far as I know, we are the whole of the alt-right red-pill thinkers in Singapore, six or seven men in a country of 5.3 million people. Sounds pretty miniscule when the rest of the country seems to be united in demanding more cheese and free stuff from the government, but we move forward somehow.

Now, four of us are smokers. Although we tend to sit in the open-air areas, where smoking is technically allowed by law, my fellows know what smoke of any sort does to my airways and are more than willing to step away from the table to light up. I realise that, and appreciate the thought.

They also know what alcohol does to my system, so for the entirety of the night I nurse dark black coffee at sixty cents a cup while they pass around bottles of beer. Funny thing is, when it's almost time to depart, they always leave about half a mug of the stuff in the last bottle and pass it along to me expectantly.

And knowing full well what it does to me (albeit with no lasting effects I've been able to discern over the years), I down it to the last drop.

Next morning, I usually get at least a couple of text messages asking if I've thrown up yet.

It's all in good fun. We all accommodate each other of our own free will, with no idiots pushing for laws to ban smoking on private property just because they don't like it; our government does that well enough. People are actually - wait for it - considerate in this tiny group of ours. And hey, what's a couple of hours of feeling quite miserable if a bunch of people you care about get a genuine laugh and smile out of it?

Heh.

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of the sort of rituals that might have been practiced by hunter-gatherers. (I don't have a scholarly text to support this, I am just speculating.) Each hunter shows that he is willing to undergo discomfort for the good of the group.
    The whole process reinforces group identity and the bond of the individuals to the group.

    ReplyDelete